What kind of earrings for nickel allergy
Metal allergies (aka contact dermatitis) are contact allergies, meaning a reaction only occurs when your body is in contact with the substance (like when you are wearing earrings). The symptoms of metal allergy include reddening of the skin, swelling, blistering, rash, pain.
Contact dermatitis does not happen immediately; it develops over extended contact with the reactive substance. This is why numerous people can wear earrings for years without issues and then seemingly overnight develop painful reactions when they attempt to wear them.
Once a contact allergy is developed, it can happen after a few moments of contact with the allergen. Approximately 20% of the population suffers from metal allergies, and that number continues to increase because so numerous people wear earrings that contain highly reactive metals.
Now I will deep dive into some of the metals that are most commonly used in earrings, as well as the metals that we use at Tini Lux, in hopes to clarify some of the conflicting information that you may own read or heard before.
I included a note under each of the metals that lists if it is approved by the Association of Professional Piercers and if there are any qualifications to it’s use.
If you own sensitive ears, you know that finding a pair of earrings that are cute and that you can wear every day endless is an uphill battle.
Though those trendy Zara earrings every of your friends are rocking at the moment will just never be fore you (because green skin and sore ears just isn't worth it, no matter how gorge they are), we've put in the research to track below pairs you'll be capable to wear every season—and every year—long.
The key here is to carefully read up on what that pair of hoops you are lusting after is made of before you tug the trigger. The most common irritator for sensitive ears is nickel, which is unfortunately used to make most of the affordable earrings out on the market (and is often used to make piercing guns—which is just one more reason why it's worth going to an experienced piercer next time you desire to up your ear game).
So if you're planning to pick a pair up from a high highway store, you'll likely desire to steer clear unless the packaging specifies a pair is nickel-free or is made of one of the five metals outlined below.
The following 16 pairs made of pure gold, sterling sliver, and more should every be safe for sensitive ears, so read on to store earrings you'll be capable to stir and match to Instagrammable perfection.
What is a jewellery allergy?
Jewellery allergy is a common cause of contact allergic dermatitis. Most jewellery allergy is caused by the metal nickel (see nickel allergy) which is used in the manufacture of precious metal alloys.
In less expensive jewellery, nickel is often used in the base metal which is then plated with gold or silver. Numerous people who believe that they are allergic to gold or silver jewellery are allergic to nickel, which can happen as a trace element in gold or silver or has been used in the manufacture of gold jewellery to whiten and strengthen the piece.
Jewellery allergy presents asdermatitisin places where nickel-containing metal is touching the skin.
The most common sites of jewellery allergy are the earlobes (from earrings), the fingers (from rings), and around the neck (from necklaces); the affected areas become intensely itchy and may become red and blistered (acute dermatitis) or dry, thickened and pigmented (chronic dermatitis). Sometimes dermatitis later affects areas that are not in contact with jewellery, particularly the hands. Pompholyx is a blistering type of hand dermatitis that is prevalent in people with a previous history of jewellery allergy and may be due to contact with other sources of nickel such as coins and keys.
How to avoid jewellery allergy
If you own a jewellery allergy, a dermatologist can act out a skin patch test to determine if you own a nickel allergy.
Once your nickel allergy is confirmed, it is essential to avoid contact with nickel-containing metals. The following tips may assist when purchasing jewellery.
- Look for jewellery that is hypoallergenic, i.e. made of stainless steel, at least 18-karat gold, sterling silver, or polycarbonate plastic.
- If you must wear earrings that contain nickel, add plastic covers made specifically for earring studs.
- When having ears or other body parts pierced, own it done with a stainless steel needle and make certain your jewellery is made of stainless steel or either 18- or 24 karat gold.
- Alternative white gold alloys are available based on palladium, silver and other white metals, but the palladium alloys are more expensive than those using nickel.
High-karat white gold alloys are far more resistant to corrosion than are either pure silver or sterling silver.
- If your wedding ring or another item of jewellery that you wear daily causes a reaction, you can enquire a jeweller about having it plated in a non-allergic metal, such as rhodium or platinum. However, the coating will eventually wear off and need re-plating.
Test your metal items
Test your metal items to see if they contain nickel. Obtain a nickel-testing kit from your dermatologist, pharmacist, or online. The kit consists of one or two little bottles of clear fluid (dimethylglyoxime and ammonium hydroxide). When mixed in the presence of nickel, a pink colour results.
Apply a drop of the fluid onto the metal item to be tested — first, attempt it on a 10-cent coin.
Use a cotton bud to rub gently – observe the colour on the bud. If it remains clear, the item has no free nickel and will not cause dermatitis. If it is pink, it contains nickel and may cause problems if the item touches your skin.
These chemicals will not harm your jewellery.
Your dermatologist may own further specific advice, particularly if you are highly sensitive to nickel or other metals.
Have you ever had an allergic reaction to your jewelry? It’s a well-known fact that the metal contained in your jewelry setting can cause some annoying allergy symptoms to those that own a sensitivity to it. You may not be aware of the metal(s) and alloys that are present in your favorite pieces of jewelry, and the results may surprise you!
Those that do experience a reaction should transition to metals that are hypoallergenic.
What other reactions to jewellery occur?
Jewellery reactions are not always due to an allergy to a specific metal. Other reasons for a rash on the site of a specific item of jewellery may include:
Unrelated rashes should also be considered if patch tests prove negative.
Who is affected by jewellery allergy?
Allergic contact dermatitis to metal jewellery may develop at any age.
In most cases, this is due to nickel allergy, and once it has occurred, it persists for numerous years, often life-long. Some people develop dermatitis (also called eczema) from even brief contact with nickel-containing items, while others after numerous years of wearing them without problems suddenly break out in a rash. This is generally confined to skin sites in contact with the metal but can spread more widely in severe cases.
Nickel allergy is more common in women, probably because they are more likely to wear jewellery than men, although this is changing.
While nickel allergy is the most common jewellery allergy to happen, allergy to other metals used in jewellery is possible.
However, it appears to be rare.
How do I know if my jewellery contains nickel?
By looking at a piece of jewellery, it is extremely hard to determine whether or not it contains nickel. One should assume that every metal jewellery has some quantity of nickel in it unless it made of stainless (surgical) steel, is either 18- or 24-carat gold, is sterling silver, or pure platinum.
Gold for jewellery is typically measured in karats (also spelt carats).
- 18 karat is 75% gold.
- 12 karat is 50% gold.
- 24 karat (pure gold) contains 99.9% gold (plus 0.1% other metal).
- Nine karat is 37.5% gold.
To make up the relax of the metal, gold is alloyed with other metals.
For people with metal allergy, particularly nickel allergy, the question is which metals are your gold jewellery alloyed with? Gold can be alloyed with numerous diverse types of metals which alter its hardness, colour and other properties. For example, yellow gold may be alloyed with silver and copper, while white gold is generally alloyed with nickel. Rhodium, a silvery-white metal related to platinum, is often used to plate yellow gold to make it into white gold. And even white gold with nickel is often rhodium-plated to make it appear whiter and shinier.
Although the initial plating will protect you against any nickel in the gold, it eventually wears off over months or years. This leaves the white gold (alloyed with nickel) in contact with your skin.
There are three grades of silver for jewellery — pure silver, sterling silver and silver-plated. Pure silver is 99.9% silver but can be too soft and malleable to handle when making into jewellery.
Sterling silver is 92.5% pure silver alloyed with copper. In some cases of sterling silver, a little percentage of other metals may be in the stir so traces of nickel may be present. Silver-plated jewellery is a base metal (and may contain nickel) that has been plated with a fine layer of silver alloy.
What is the treatment of jewellery allergy?
Treatment of jewellery allergy requires removing responsible jewellery.
Symptoms of Jewelry Allergic Reactions:
According to the National Institute of Health, allergic symptoms resulting from exposure to metals typically appear 24 to 48 hours after exposure.
They can include itching, redness, tenderness, swelling, and warmth to the exposed area.
In more severe cases dry patches and blisters may occur.